Tuesday, October 11, 2011

the whole30, day four

So far, so good, I hope. The grumpiness has passed, hopefully, not to return, but I will not hold my breath on that one. I have started to enjoy cooking more, oddly enough. This from a self-professed lover of almost all aspects of the kitchen. These past few days preparing food has been oddly different, a bit more exciting than usual. That I cannot explain. The biggest food issue I'm having is getting enough vegetables in my meals each day. I love all sorts of vegetables and have some of my favorites in the refrigerator ready to go, yet I'm still not eating them. I've got to work on that.

Trying to talk my daughter into doing this with me has been enlightening. She's thinking about it. She's health conscious. She already prepares most of her meals. She's an excellent cook. So it seemed a perfect fit. She said she'd look over the details on the website and give it a try.

A bit later when I spoke to her, all enthusiastic knowing she coldn't help but love it, I was in for a surprise.
"Doesn't it look easy?" I asked, expecting ready agreement. What I heard instead was a resounding "No!" I was thinking, but, but, but.... Kristen then reminded me it was virtually what I was already eating; I'd had to make only minor adjustments. She, on the other hand, would drastically alter her current way of eating. She would also have to make adjustments for her family, one of whom is a vegetarian. I was asking a lot.

Let me rephrase that; I am asking a lot. This program offers to change your life in 30 days, and darn it, that's worth fighting for. So I'll try to be supportive and encouraging without being downright obnoxious. Though in truth I'll probably seem downright obnoxious from her end.

3 comments:

  1. If you're doing the Whole30, thinking about it, or just want to share your thoughts, be sure to comment here. We an keep each other company from afar. It gets easier each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a lot harder for people who "really" like their carbs. I was talking to a girl at work about this, and she looked traumatized - "No bread...so that means...no pasta either!?!" :) I've always been a little careful of grains because of blood sugar problems. When first reading about paleo I thought, duh, if every time i eat pasta or cereal and I think that I'd better eat protein and fat with it so I don't get a blood sugar crash, shouldn't that be a big clue that pasta, cereal, etc isn't that good for me in the first place? It seems so obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you're right, Schatze, the carb lovers have a hurdle, though the dairy part can be rough for some, too.

    The only thing I've found that truly works for me is to focus on foods I love that I can eat safely. This is especially effective with those foods that have seemed off-limits at times. What those foods are will vary for each of us. I love mayonnaise, for instance, but rarely ate it. Sometimes now, I'll make mayo with egg, lemon, and olive oil and pile it an broccoli or cauliflower. That wouldn't appeal to everyone, but I love it.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you think about this?