Friday, January 27, 2012

really? are you kidding me?

I took a health assessment survey today that my employer has been encouraging. I'd passed on the idea a month or two ago, but today I gave in to the $150 they were dangling in front of my nose. That could buy the spices from Penzey's I've been resisting or a supply of Primal Pacs or the Whole9 telephone consultation that's been sounding so tempting. So I sold out, took the darned survey, answered all their questions about diet and weight and health and exercise and self-esteem.

This was a long survey and in retrospect possibly not worth the money when you get right down to it. Especially since it's not really money; it's one of those annoying Visa cards that they load as you go. Still, I did it; it's done.

After they processed all my information which included not a single question about allergies or food intolerances, they said they were formulating my personal report. (Oh, did I mention this was an online survey? "They" refers to the program.) The report would tell me how healthy I am, and the follow-up virtual consultation would tell me what I could do to improve my health. Sure enough, after about 60 seconds, up popped my personal evaluation.

The report said I was at a healthy weight (yay!), applauded my non-smoker status, made a cautious suggestion that I might want to work on my exercise program, and then addressed diet. Apparently, my lack of healthy whole grains and sufficient dairy products is grave. That was mentioned over and over and over. They gave me all kinds of disgusting ways in which I might add grains. Of course, along with that I should limit my fat intake. They gave me lots of artificial low-fat suggestions. Apparently, they think I eat enough vegetables, but I should really increase my daily servings of fruit.

People are taking these surveys, thinking there's something to them. You know they are. Then they're following the outrageous recommendations or feeling guilty that they're not. This is not okay, not even for $150.

6 comments:

  1. Isn't it outrageous!! I took a "healthy eating" class with my work last year and it was such a terrible representation of the SAD diet... and that is what they were suggesting for people to eat... things like enriched white bread, or wheat bread, super processed foods, I was just completely blown away...and they ALWAYS suggested low fat or fat-free everything and whole grain everything and LOTS of dairy... really blew my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it make you just a little crazy when they do that?

      It really borders on the criminal. I was talking to a young woman at work this morning who told me she's been sticking to her vegan diet for three weeks now. It's not an animal issue; she just wants to lose some weight. And she's always hungry. It made me sad.

      Delete
  2. I think I know the answer but...... Did it have a place for comments or suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no place for comments, but it did offer me the option of sending the report to my primary care physician, so I could get extra support and we could work as a team. gag

      Delete
  3. I took one at work as well. If I didn't my insurance would cost me an addition $35 a month. So, like you, I gave in and took it. Basically the same thing...healthy weight, congrats on wearing seatbelt, nice job going to the gym...need to cut down on fat, eat more grains, dairy and fruit. It also told me I was stressed out!!!!!!! Seriously, I was not stressed out until I took that damn test. Pisses me off, someone like my mother takes that as golden and dismisses everything I given her to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeez, at least my insurance is using another approach. Isn't this insane?

      I know so many people who would do the same as your mother. My friends are so worried about my diet in spite of lab tests I get. I am not a fan of doctors or tests, but I do them just because they prove the point. Even with the data, they worry. And I seriously worry about their health, while I think they're nuts.

      Delete

We'd love to hear what you think about this?