Wednesday, October 26, 2011

whole30, day nineteen

Today's post will be quite short, but I do want to check in. I don't know that I would call it magic, but my relationship to food and drink has already changed dramatically. I am still able to get very excited about food and cooking and eating, but I do not need to have that excitement with me all the time. I am not driven by it.

Today I had no desire to stray from my choice to commit to the Whole30; it did not enter my mind. And today was not an ordinary day for us. We were up by 4am, no coffee this morning, and at the hospital, checking in to the outpatient cardio unit by 5. GK was scheduled for a 6:30 angiogram following two weeks of chest pain (which he conveniently neglected to tell me about until last weekend.) This has been a scary few days, and today was over the top. Neither of us has had much experience with hospitals, and we mostly avoid doctors, so this is very odd for both of us. The test revealed a blocked artery, and his cardiologist completed an angioplasty and inserted a stent. We left the hospital about 4pm, scared but grateful for the good care and thoughtful attention. He, for the first time in his life, will be taking daily medications, some for life. I am considering myself oh so fortunate to be bringing him home.

Clearly, his day was much rougher than mine. I am very, very clear about that. Those of you who have to watch everything that goes into your mouth know you don't leave home unprepared if you can help it. Today it did not cross my mind. Kristen brought me coffee from Starbucks, and at one point in the morning she and I braved the cafeteria. I almost never eat out. It scares the hell out of me, as it's rare that I don't get sick doing so. Today I spent 11 hours at a hospital afraid of the food and water and survived. I was darned hungry when I got home and almost too tired to cook, but I cooked. We ate. He is resting comfortably, and I am not even interested in a glass of wine.

2 comments:

  1. I'm SO glad your hubs is okay Pamela!! Sending well wishes and prayers your way!! So glad you didn't get sick yesterday as well! I've had to be on blood pressure meds the past 4 years and my goal with paleo is to hopefully, eventually at least decrease the meds significantly even if I can't get off them completely. I have hope!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Carrie. GK is still reeling from the idea of taking medication long-term and invasive procedures, but he is strong and, hopefully, resilient. I wish you luck with the blood pressure meds. I was on a very low dose and have stopped taking them since making these changes. My bllod pressure stays within the normal range now. That alone is exciting.
    pamela

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you think about this?