Saturday, October 8, 2011

the Whole30: I can do this

The I have whined repeatedly over the past months about gains and losses in the area of health. Since eliminating gluten and then dairy, I've felt better, definitely, just not fully healed. It's been a year without either, and even longer without artificial ingredients of any sort. More recently I've removed soy, all grains, and most forms of sugar from my world, as well. It probably goes without saying that I cook pretty much everything I eat. And still, sometimes (often, I'm afraid) I still feel way less than well.

So ever hopeful, today I began following a new path to what has been an elusive healthy body. Today for me is Day One on  The Whole30, and my current quest for health.  While this is essentially the diet I've been following for awhile, a lot can be compromised in the "essentially" department. Little things, which are often not so little, like the tiny bit of raw sugar in my uncured bacon, have not been working out so well. Probably the hardest thing for me, the one I have always known was a big deal but decided to ignore, is alcohol. We have a little (usually) wine most evenings. It's more of a relaxing ritual than anything else, and it's one I've resisted letting go. It's not so much the wine as the whole experience, the routine, the pretty glasses, the conversation. I do not plan at this point on giving that up forever, but I can do it for 30 days.

This morning after making this commitment, I weighed myself for the last time for the next 30 days and jumped in. Of course, so far it's pretty easy. For breakfast I scrambled lots of eggs with sauteed onions and squash. Easy, and we can both eat that without feeling deprived in the least. As I've mentioned, this is a way of eating we've mostly followed for sometime. As with most things, of course, the devil is in the details, and that's just what my challenge will be this month: keeping those darned details in check.

Please wish me luck, or better still, join me and post your thoughts and progress here. I have a couple of partners so far and would love more. It's just 30 days.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's wonderful and I cannot wait to see your progress!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carrie.
    Grocery shopping today was quick and easy. We found a lobe Shelton's turkey breast in the small meat counter at our local natural foods store, so it will make meal planning a snap this week, or at least for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That should have read "lone turkey breast."

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you think about this?