Thursday, March 1, 2012

day 1, round 2

Somehow this seems so much easier this time. I weighed myself this morning for the last time this month. Interestingly, to me at any rate, my weight is precisely two pounds less than when I completed my first Whole30 in early November 2011. I meant to do measurements, but I am simply not that organized.

The food has really been easy. Inspired by Carrie, Ginger Lemon Girl, who has posted about pantry meals for a few days, I decided to eat as much from what we already have in our kitchen as possible, even as I'm starting this Whole30. I'm a bit of a pack rat where food is concerned, and we pretty much eat this way routinely, so it's not as big a stretch as one might think. GK is not doing the Whole30 with me, but he has been making gradual changes for some time now that are bringing our eating styles closer together. That is darned near miraculous in my book. It sure makes meals easier, since I do almost all the cooking.

My breakfast, today, was a small top sirloin steak from the freezer. This time I remembered to thaw it first. That is not a given. I browned it in a pan as I got ready for work this morning, seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. After the steak was out of the pan, I threw in a couple of thickly sliced mushrooms. When it cooled, I cut the steak into strips and took it and the mushrooms to work with me along with a cup or so of sauteed Napa cabbage. I am a notorious breakfast-at-my-desk person. It helps me ease into the day.

For lunch, I filled my trusty warming Crock Pot with leftover beef stew from a few days ago. This was possible since I rarely eat anything non-compliant, anyway. Note, I did not say never. For me the Whole30 is not a major change; it's a tightening of the reigns. That is, of course, where food is concerned. Wine is a different issue. I enjoy our wine ritual, but I'm fine without it. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Dinner tonight was simple, mostly because I was pooped after a frustrating work day. GK had the rest of the chocolate chili with an egg, avocado, grape tomatoes, and scallions. I had three scrambled eggs, a bit of avocado, and a few bites of the chili. I couldn't resist. I'm hoping I can handle just a bit.

I'm comfortably collapsed on my bed right now, and as soon as I can drag myself away from my trusty MacBook, my plan is to pick out a few new recipes to try from Well Fed.

2 comments:

  1. chili didn't agree with you? :-( Too spicy? I don't do well with really spicy things myself. I love how you describe making steak for breakfast in the mornings! I'm looking forward to making the short ribs this weekend!! How long would you cook boneless ones in the slow cooker do you think, or do you think they would taste better in the oven? I'm definitely getting back into the swing of less carbs, although not completely there yet! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny thing, Carrie, is that the chili wasn't hot at all. It had nice flavors, but not heat. It could be the onions or the tomatoes. I never used to have problems with either.

    I hope you love the short ribs. I like to cook them on low until they almost fall apart. I don't think the oven would make them any better. You'll probably want to use a small amount of liquid. I usually just add a bit of water, though I'm sure broth could make it a little richer. I'm a pretty lazy cook sometimes. Slow cookers are so varied, I don't know what to suggest time-wise. It's hard to go wrong with short ribs. They are much more forgiving than leaner cuts. Just be sure they get tender. I wish I could be more specific, but I cook them anywhere between 6 and 12 hours.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you think about this?