Sunday, October 16, 2011

whole30, day nine

I do so wish that everyday I could report that everything is just getting better and better. In the long run, it probably is, no, I'm sure it is. On the surface, however, in my day to day observations, well, not so much. I'm told what I'm experiencing is to be expected as part of the healing process. I don't like healing processes, personally, I just want to be healed. Guess I'm probably not alone there.

The past two days have had many ups and downs. I've felt more achy, had the occasional headache, and experienced more bloating than I'd care to recount. At first my inclination was to hold my food choices suspect, but really, they've been spot-on. Following the food guidelines has been remarkably easy, fortunately. Feeling quite awkward and self-conscious in the process, I checked with the folks at Whole30/Whole9 and was reassured that my experiences are not unheard of, in fact quite common. (Phooey! There's that word "common" again. Not one of my favorites.)

On the positive side, though, this whole process has been entertaining for sure. As those of you who have to operate from limitations in food choices know, it can get you down sometimes. I contend there's nothing like adding several further restrictions, by choice, to put fun back into the food game. I love cooking, and I love eating. I don't love panicking about cross-contamination and hidden ingredients. Following the Whole30, for me those problems both vanish. I'm not using processed foods at all, no hidden ingredients, and I'm preparing everything we eat in a kitchen completely devoid of contraband. It's easy and fun. It probably sounds odd that more limitation could constitute more freedom, but that's how it's working for me.

So here we go, welcome Day 9. On the west coast of the US, the day is just beginning, and I'm seriously looking forward to it. Steaks and salad, lots of salad, is the plan for dinner tonight. Getting food ready for the week is the plan for the day. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that the stomach discomfort of the past two days is just that, a thing of the past. Whether it is or not, I'll keep my eyes on the prize. This is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear what you think about this?