Sunday, April 1, 2012

my time capsule

Along with many other bloggers who have an expressed interest in health today, I'm participating in WEGO's Health Activist Writer's Month Challenge.  Each day we'll each address a different subject. Today, I'm preparing a time capsule that will not be opened for 100 years.

Oh my, where to start? So much is changing day to day, it's hard to get a grip on right now. What would I choose to send into the future to let a glimpse of that live on? My first thought, and I do apologize for this, is that I don't want to record for posterity what I view as an atrocity to our heath and our species. Somehow, in the name of profit and arrogance, we as a whole seem to be intent on annihilating ourselves. That said, I still have a time capsule to fill.

I'd start with several current health magazines and newspapers, each with its own take on health and healthy living. They contradict each other with a vehemence that's hard to imagine if you don't look it in the face. Exercise, diet, food choices, clean air, fresh water---no one agrees. We can't even agree, it seems, that natural is better than engineered or that toxic should be avoided. Unfortunately, we all occupy the same small planet and have few options, especially if we don't agree.

I'd include a bit of pink slime, along with the statements of its opponents and proponents. I'd also add some GMO products with similar statements. A few heirloom seeds would round it off.

I'd also add some current news. I would love to know what the take one hundred years from now would be on the current war against women and their right to have a say in their own health. Forty years ago I would not have seen this coming. I'm guessing 100 years will take us in a better direction.

I'd like to include some of my favorite things from 2012, as well. For the life of me, I can't see how lamb shanks and grass-fed fillet of beef are going to make it in this time capsule. For posterity though, I must include DVDs of the complete series of West Wing, one of my all-time favorite TV series.

Talk to you tomorrow, when I will have something more substantial to say. At least I sure hope so.

2 comments:

  1. The West Wing! I LOVE it! Okay, I guess maybe I should watch it on netflix now! LOL... because I need ANOTHER tv show to be addicted too! lol And I love everything you are including!! I think it's neat to see what different people think of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carrie. I did not feel on solid ground on this one. I'm so glad to hear you're a West Wing fan. GK gave me the complete series a few years ago, and I watched the entire series from beginning to end three times in a row, several hours every day. Luckily, he's also a fan or it could have been awful.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you think about this?