Saturday, May 28, 2011

eating well can be easy

My earlier rants not withstanding, I still stand steadfast in the contention that it is not too hard and not too restrictive to eat the foods that don't attack us. I am not a vegetarian, so meat is my go-to option when I want comfort food. Today is a comfort food day for me. After completely mutilating an attempt at an indulgent breakfast and having a day to busy to relax and contemplate dinner, I wanted something soothing, easy, and satisfying. Today that was chili with beans. Okay, some days I'm easy. The chili is simmering on the stove as I write.

Still, this is an easy and satisfying meal. Vegetarians, vegans as well, can simply leave out the meat and have a comfort meal worth eating---gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, corn-free and 100% natural.

I started with an organically grown onion, 2 pounds of Hearst Ranch ground beef, 3 serano chiles from my garden, sea salt, ground pepper and garlic. I am seriously unceremonious when browning meat and onions. It's hard to go wrong unless you turn up the heat and leave the room. Oops, I have been known to do just that, and they are still forgiving up to a point. After meat, if you're using it, and onions have browned to your liking, add cumin powder, New Mexico chiles, or those you prefer, along with one can of organic diced tomatoes, my favorite is Muir Glen, and continue to simmer. After a few minutes, add 2 cans of pinto beans or about 4 cups of cooked beans. I used cranberry beans I cooked yesterday. It's quick; it's easy; it's comfort food for us. I'll put some cheese on GK's plate when I serve it. Mine will be pristine. This is great, really great, with corn bread if you can eat it, and if you can, I'm still a bit jealous but getting over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear what you think about this?