Tuesday, December 11, 2012

paleo processed food

What's not to love about processed food? It's fast. It's easily stored. It's often tasty. It's readily available. It's diverse. It's so nice to come home to after a hectic day. It requires little of us. It's healthy? Uh, not so much. Unless, of course, you are your own food processor.

I am convinced that daily meals and entertaining become so much easier with the help of a well-stocked pantry, freezer, and refrigerator. That for me means processed food.

Still, I buy almost no processed food. It's almost because I do but olive oil, coconut oil, almond flour, coconut flour, and coconut milk. I also buy meat that has been butchered, aged, and packaged. And I buy spices from around the world. So, I do not claim to do all my own processing by any means.

Paleo processed food is do-it-yourself processed food. It's really very easy and very cost-effective. Every time I hear complaints about how expensive it is to eat clean or how budgets just don't allow for good food, the first thing that crosses my mind is the unreal cost of processed food: potato chips, prepared frozen meals, pizza, burgers, ready-to-eat entrees. Seriously, while I may spend a lot on groceries, my steak, salad, and sweet potato fries cost less than most combo meals at a drive-through. And some do-ahead prep, your own processing makes it quick and easy, too.

So, teasers for today. Soon I'll post some specific tips for making meals healthy, quick, inexpensive, and most importantly, tasty. Can't wait a day? Check out all the great ideas from Well Fed from The Clothes Make the Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear what you think about this?